Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Finding inspiration

It turns out the Festival was not so inspiring for my blog. I did find another woman who is blogging the Festival much better than I have been.
Avignon in Photos
I especially like her blog because she writes in French and English. I would like to do that someday, but for now, I'll stick to English.

Tonight I will finally go see a production, which seems like a huge accomplishment these days, because I often come home from work very tired, from the heat (no A/C in my office) and from the French language. I have been here 3 months now and I am not fluent. Surprised? I know. I'm not sure what I expect from myself, but some days I just wish that I didn't have to strain to understand a conversation or to ask for something to be done by one of the students.

The show is "Le Cabinet du docteur Caligari"; the summary says it is based on expressionist German (silent) film from the 20s. The title is in French, the theatre troupe is from England and it's based on a silent movie, so I have no idea what or if they'll be speaking. When I read the description: a student whose pleasant life is disrupted by "a mysterious doctor and his worrying sleepwalker" (worrying sleepwalker could also be "frightening nightwalker"), for some reason, to me, it sounded like a great time. I think only being able to express myself at the level of a 5 year old has left me feeling a little dark in my humor these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment